Double Your Savings at These New York Grocery Stores
Written by Alex Bach
What Are They?
Double Couponing is an excellent way to get the absolute maximum amount of savings possible on all your grocery store adventures. By the end of the month you could see savings in your budget that could dismiss claims that Christmas only comes but once a year.
How It Works:
Double Coupons are the act of the grocery store doubling the coupon's discount by taking the additional savings out of their profits. This turns a $0.25 savings into a $0.50 savings. No matter which city you're in, Manhattan, Albany, Rochester, or Buffalo, these savings are worth pursuing.
However, because the doubled portion of manufacturer coupons are coming out of the grocery stores' end, they will usually only accept certain denominations of coupons to double. Otherwise, they couldn't possibly stay afloat. These limits are usually $0.50, $.99, or $1.00.
Now, here's where the smart shopper takes advantage of doubling: while it might seem like a better deal to take the $1.00 off coupon if a store doesn't double on higher than $0.99, having a coupon for $0.75 off, when doubled, will actually yield savings of $1.50, making it the better deal.
The Complete List of Double Couponing Stores in New York:
- Wegmans doubles coupons up to $0.99 for manufacturer's coupons only. Check out their Weekly Ad Match Ups to see specific products savings, some of which might even be free.
- A&P only offers one manufacturer coupon to be doubled per transaction and no more than four used on a single brand product per day.
- Pricechopper doubles up to $0.99 however they do not double coupons for alcohol, tobacco, milk or cigarettes. Neither will any of these stores, for that matter, as it is restricted by state law.
- Jubilee doubles only manufacturer coupons and will not double internet or printed coupons.
- Stop & Shop
- Tops Friendly Markets, formerly Grand Union, doubles every day. However, they only double paper manufacturer's coupons, and only up to $0.99.
- ShopRite will generally accept double coupons, however it is up to the discretion of each store's individual coupon policy. When accepted, ShopRite will double up to four "like" coupons per day, per household.
- P&C allows double coupons up to $0.99 but with stipulations similar to those above. Also included in their stipulations are that double coupon totals can't exceed 50 percent of the total.
Don't See One on the List?
Let us know if we've missed any of your favorite grocery stores and we'll add them to the list.
Find grocery coupons. Save money today.