Double Coupon Options for Virginia
Written by Alex Bach
Double coupons are the new frontier for smart, savings-oriented shoppers. What they are, essentially, is an agreement by the grocery store to double the savings of the coupon at checkout. The grocery stores take out these additional savings from their end in the hopes of drawing you to the store.
This means that you can take a coupon for $0.99 off an item and you'll receive a total of $1.98 off at the register. This can lead to some killer savings.
Of course, as you already know or can imagine, not every store participates in a double coupon policy. Some stores can't afford the additional discounts or have already worked their discounts into their pricing.
Those grocery stores that do offer to double coupons often have their own stipulations as to what kinds of coupons they will accept--i.e. manufacturer, electronic or coupons printed at home
--and what discount they will allow, often capping the coupons to a maximum of $0.99 off before doubling.
And as great as these deals are, not every store participates or has a double coupon policy. In order to shop smartly, familiarize yourself with the stores in Virginia that do.
Here Are the Stores in Virginia That Double Coupons:
- Giant will double coupons up to $0.99 and allows up to four "like" coupons to be used on identical items. So if you have five $0.50 coupons for yogurt, only four will be doubled.
- Harris Teeter's double coupon savings are only available to shoppers with a VIC card, their loyalty program, to take advantage of the double coupon savings. Shoppers with the card can double up to twenty coupons up to $0.99 per day.
- Kroger has stopped doubling coupons at their stores in Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina but still double coupons at stores in Virgina, though that could always change at some point. The chain has been developing digital coupon programs with their customers and will likely apply that program to all stores. These digital coupons, unfortunately, cannot be doubled or combined with paper coupons.
- Unfortunately, not every Safeway doubles coupons ; you'll have to check with your local store to see if they participate. Stores that do will only accept retailer or manufacturer coupons, no printed or electronic coupons.
- Like Safeway, SuperFresh doesn't necessarily double at every store. Shoppers must consult their local SuperFresh to see if they participate.
- Shoppers Food Warehouse will double manufacturer's coupons via mailers, newspapers or the internet for up to $0.99.
Did We Miss One?
Let us know if you've found another grocery store in Fairfax, Richmond, Arlington, or anywhere else in the state that doubles coupons and we'll add it to the list.
Find grocery coupons. Save money today.