1. In a soup pot, put the heat on medium. Add oil, onion and garlic and cook until golden.
2. Scrape out the seeds of the pumpkin. Cut into chunks.
3. Add pumpkin chunks and broth to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, uncovered, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until pumpkin is fork-tender, about 30 minutes.
4. Remove the pot from heat and, using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until smooth.
5. Stir in cream and season to taste.
6. To serve, ladle soup into bowls, add a swirl of cream, and garnish with pepper.